Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Over my head

Two weeks ago I ran 6 Mile Creek near Hope, Alaska with Nova Guides from Chickaloon. With moderate water levels we  ran all three canyons without using oar locks. This means that everyone in the boat has to paddle and pay attention. I wanted to shoot video with my Gopro HD helmet cam in addition to my 5D for still photos but the guides put this idea down like a wounded horse. In my Alaskan experience if somebody does something for a living, you listen to them. Boy, I'm glad I did. As you will see in the slide show we didn't quite make it through the last set of Class V rapids in the boat. Scary as hell to be in water that big without a boat. I had two thoughts in my mind, "I always wondered what this felt like, I've seen it on TV" and "CLOSE YOUR MOUTH STUPID." The second was the most profound statement I have had in quite some time. We all got plucked out of the river by the safety cataraft and were none the worse for wear. NOVA Alaska is a world class group of guides, if you are looking to shoot some rapids or see the back country these are your people. www.novalaska.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts