Monday, July 18, 2011

Sunday Morning Coming Down

A fisheye view of a rainbow trout fighting the fly fisherman.

Mike releases a small rainbow after telling me he was going to catch it not a minute earlier.

Mike Malone chats with kids out for a paddle on a slow Sunday afternoon on Irene Lake, Alaska

So this is what I looked liked to the fish.
Float tube fishing in Alaska has always been a green shrouded zen like experience for me. I could always escape the crowds of the Kenai and just float around and get a bit closer to everything.  Spotting rainbow trout far below me swimming by oblivious to my intent (an they ignored my fly for the most part) was always worth a drive. But, life got busy and float tube and hand built flyrods started collecting dust more and more. My obsession with a slow Sunday on a quiet lake refused to gather dust. Although it wouldn't help the dusty 6wt, I had to get back into those still waters, but this time my goal was just to share my obsession with the world. Mike Malone from Education Concepts (professional fly fishing instructors, yes it is ok to be jealous of that title) was kind enough to share his quiet Sunday with me. Fishing was a bit slow, but the conversation was lively and weather pleasant. I paddled along side his float tube in my trusty 7mm O'neil wetsuit towing my Canon 5D in an Ikelite housing along with a GoPro HD mounted to it (I'll do a write up on my kit later on this year).  We managed to rustle up a few rainbows and lots of green water to tread. If you have never gone fishing in a float tube, go make it happen and get a bit closer to the fish and further from the crowds.

We have made plans for our next venture where hopefully we can get into a few bigger fish and more story telling. It is fishing after all, and even if you are treading cold water for hours on end you have to tell tales.

Good Health and Travels,
David Hayes

PS Not in the photos but present was my incredible safety officer and wife Holly kayaking around the lake and getting her Zen time in as well.  And if you get the title of this post then you can pick the music for a road trip in my truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts