Sunday, November 27, 2011

Head colds and Swiss abstract equalls fresh ideas

There is a common thread to these images besides their simplicity.
Alaska is creeping steadily toward that darkest day of the year as the snow piles up and the thermometer plummets down, I find this to be the toughest time of year to find inspiration to begin new projects. Weddings and senior photos are largely over with and family photos for this seasons Christmas cards are winding down. Typically this is the time of year that one relishes in not moving to much and enjoying some much earned downtime. Unfortunately (or not) inspiration has decided to not depart me in this dark season and demanded that I heed the call or forfeit sleep.

Marlboro Ultra Light
Being a visual artist I tend to tell stories that revolve around subjects that have a sense of visual dynamic. I have never attempted to communicate an abstract thought visually but lately have felt compelled to do exactly that. For the record I enjoy all forms of art, but I find it hard to really appreciate art that appears lazy or overly pretentious.  Maybe this is why I have avoided this as it is so easily done poorly.  Abstract work of Paul Klee has always fascinated me by its  apparent minimalism but visual power and presence of placement. Equally true is the work of Irving Penn and his still life's of every day objects observed in such a way as to inspire the viewer anew.

In no way am I comparing myself to these masters of minimalism, just simply stating where visual inspiration for a project based on very simple visual cues is heralding from. My idea started with a miserable head cold caught on returning from Germany, then purchasing of cold medicine and finally debating with my wife if my beloved Klee print would hang in the living room. The idea would not leave even when the cold departed, or the print was voted to stay. I simply had to get the idea out of my head.......this is the joy of being an artist and the pain. We also tend to get away with dramatic statements that a less creative person would be ridiculed for.


Ruger Sp 101 in .357 Magnum, my sidearm of choice


Well yes, winter has its advantages.
These are some outtakes from the sessions in my studio this past weekend. I will be posting the full project next month. The idea is now out of my head and into my hard drives, may sleep return or inspiration anew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts