Thursday, June 23, 2011

Burning Bridges and Life Lessons

David Jensen on Kodak 320 TXP 4"x5" shot at f2.5 at 1/250th with an Aero Ektar equipped Graflex Speed Graphic
 About five years ago this man turned me down for a job that I really, really wanted at his studio. Needless to say, I was upset. Not only had I been turned down for a job, but had my portfolio had been turned down once again. Any artist will confess that having their portfolio turned down is like coming home to find the locks changed on their house. I had two options, get angry and burn the bridge or admit that my portfolio needed work. I wasn't the right fit for the job, and it was time to step up my commitment to photography. It was hard to admit, but I am a better man and photographer today because of not getting that job. Well more importantly I'm a better photographer today because of the man in this photo.

He is an Anchorage icon, and somebody that has impacted more families than anyone else I know. He is a memory maker, and a damn fine one at that. Many homes in Alaska hold his art, art which allows memories to be visualized. David Jensen has taught me more about what it truly means to be a photographer and responsible business man than all my years attaining a degree.

 This image is from a series on Alaska business owners that I'm completing, and David graciously sat for me and my giant slow camera. But, it could have easily not been, I could have taken that rejection personally and let anger get the better of me, but it was just part of life that we all must accept if we want to improve. It would have benefited me to learn this 10 years ago, but at least I learned it. Like so many others, thanks for the lesson David.

Good people are rare, great people are even more so, like the Cubs in the World Series. And then there are people like David. David, I hope everyone has the opportunity to know someone like you in their lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts