Sunday, July 10, 2011

Greed is Good

Daryl Pederson owner of D&M Photography, image by David Hayes 


BIG DISCLAIMER: Daryl is not the subject of this post, the image simply went with my idea this week. He is in fact a generous person that I have known and worked with for over 10 years, but more about him in another post.


Greed
I am a greedy devil, probably the greediest person you will ever meet. But, my greed is not for those items that can be held. My greed is for experiences, and time for that is the only thing worthy of greed. Time allows us to learn, to experience and to travel beyond our own bonds. I weep in a library because I have not a thousand lifetimes to learn all that there is held in that one building. Give me enough time to learn all the worlds libraries. Beyond that even, I want enough time to accomplish all those thoughts held within mankinds tomes. To listen to the symphony is not enough, I want to fell the trees, saw the planks, shape the instruments and write the music, to be performed in a structure built by my own two hands. Not to declare “Look at my work” but to say, “That is how it feels to create”. This is greed in its truest most dangerous form. For alas, I will not have the time to accomplish a mere pittance of these things. And furthermore, I would run great risk of missing out on the most valuable learning of all, the experiences of those around us.
Many a parent has missed a lifetime trying to secure the future. Like all things in life we must strike a balance, because we dont have a thousand lifetimes, just this one fragile uncertain life. My greed must drive me to succeed but not blindly forward without regards to life itself. Everything you have in life can be taken from you, what we do with our time is the only thing we can control. Many an empty mansion could be traded for a full happy apartment. I want more, more than Gates, more than Jobs, more than Trump, because they have no more time than you or I. Their caskets may be gorgeous in the end but the results are the same. I am greedy, I make no apologies. I want a thousand lifetimes. 

Good Health and Travels,
David 
Image Info: 100 ISO TMax, Graflex Speed Graphic with Aero Ektar 172mm F2.5. Shot at 1/250 @ F 2.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts