Saturday, August 6, 2011

Razor Sharp

Ray Thibault owns Northern Knives of Anchorage, AK with his son Ryan. Shot with the "Burnett Combo" Graflex Speed Graphic with 172mm F2.5 Aero Ektar Lens on 100 ISO Kodak TMax.
Many years ago I fell in love with large format photography, well I fell in love with the idea and results of large format photography. David Burnett's work on Huricane Katrina was published in National Geographic and it was like nothing I had ever seen. I began an earnest search into who this man was and how he achieved these landmark images. After viewing his portfolio it was clear that he exists on another plane of imagery from us mere mortals. But, I also found out that he uses a very unique camera rig; a vintage 4"x5" Graflex Speed Graphic with a Kodak Aero Ektar lens. After researching these items it was apparent that more people than just me had taken a liking to this set up. A Dutch machinists had created lens boards, lens shades, and filter holders for this set up in addition to a slew of technical information and usage tips. It took me two years to find the right camera and lens and put it all together and about that long to pay for it. The whole rig cost me the same as a good Canon L series lens, even though it was about my fathers age. Now I had the mighty setup, but now the hard part......learning how to use it. A good friend sold me his sturdiest tripod and head (a mere 25lbs of metal) that he was unwilling to carry in the field anymore and now I had all the pieces of the puzzle. Except how to really use it. This would take another year and the equivalent of another L series lens.

Large format photography (4"x5" in this case) is not only about results but about the process and dedication it takes to make it happen. Could I use digital and some fancy photoshop actions, maybe. But that doesn't get at the heart of what big film is all about, patience.

I'll pick this up next week.
David

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts