Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Anticipation

"30 knots" shot with a Holga, 1 sec Handheld on Ilford 100ISO

"Outside Moscow" shot with a Holga,  @1 sec Handheld on Ilford 100ISO
Maybe it's because I grew up with a darkroom tucked away behind the furnace of my parents basement or my time spent working in photo labs, but I miss film. I don't miss the chemicals or hassle but I miss the anticipation of shooting film. It was like Christmas every time you dropped a role off at the lab or took it into the dark room. Just like Christmas it might not be the best gift but it was going to be something new. I love my Canon digital, especially at 100ft underwater, but miss that anticipation. So I shoot film. Not because it is better than digital or whatever the argument is this week, but the process of shooting film is something I grew up and I like it. Just like a gambler you are going to loose on your bets occasionally but when you win it seems so much sweeter.  Holding that negative up to the light and seeing your idea realized still captivates me. Digital allows me to push my work in a different direction, film helps reel me in and make me plan the shots and count on intuition more than LCD playback. I even prefer cameras without batteries or light meters, look at the scene, do the math, wait for the light. Let the dice roll and see what turns out when you pick it up at the lab. Maybe I'll see you down at Keller's dusting off a roll of 120 next time. I will be there anticipating what my next set of negatives will look like, did it come up 7's or snakeyes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts